How do you become successful and achieve your goals? Ah, that is the golden question.
Setting a goal is easy, but actually going through and executing those steps to reach this goal is another story. We get super motivated, and we swear to ourselves we will take the necessary steps to work towards them. However, we then wake up the next day with our lofty aims as nothing more than a distant memory, seemingly impossible to reach.
It could be new year’s resolutions or goals that manifest due to your exasperation of current circumstances, but reaching your objective can be challenging without the right mindset. So how do you achieve your goals? We’ve compiled the top 7 hacks to help you reach new milestones and become a part of the 8% that succeed.
1. Affirm Yourself
It’s all in your mind. Our brains are the most powerful tools in our arsenal. All it takes is one doubtful thought to deter us from our goals. Try not to embark on your journey with any trepidation in mind. Sure, some doubts can arise, but it’s crucial to squash your fear quickly by thinking of solutions.
So how do you achieve your goals? The first step is to encourage yourself with affirmations each day. If possible, you can think about announcing your intentions to friends and family; that way, they can also help you create a healthy mentality.
2. Baby Steps
Don’t bite off more than you can chew. There is nothing wrong with aiming high, but you must be realistic. Once you have determined the objective, break down the process into smaller and more achievable milestones. It’s easy to give up if the effort seems more than the reward.
For example, if your goal is to earn 100K by the end of the year, try to break your goal into monthly achievements. Maybe aim for 10K in January, 8K in February since it’s a shorter month, and so on.
Don’t forget to celebrate even the tiniest milestones. Remember that every step, no matter how seemingly insignificant in the bigger picture, will take you closer to the result. Small celebratory efforts may be the exact boost you need to persevere.
3. Surround Yourself with Support
It’s always fun to involve others, and sometimes seeking the company of a like-minded individual will keep you on the right path. For example, working out and regular exercise are not at the top of many people’s priority lists, so finding a workout buddy can make all the difference.
We will admit that running by yourself on a treadmill staring at one point in the distance can be pretty dull. Imagine a community effort in an engagement challenge working towards a meaningful cause. Does that sound fun? If so, check out our virtual races and engagement challenges at atlasGO.
There will be plenty of people participating in these activities, earning the title of “sweaty changemakers” and working towards the same goal. Having accountability buddies from all over the world and your close friends and family is a perfect example of surrounding yourself with support.
Just when you feel like quitting, the thought that there are others out there working hard to reach an identical aspiration will be a big enough push to keep you going.
4. Track it, Record it, See it
A significant contributor to the 92% of people that fail to make it to their end goal is a lack of manifestation or visualization. The simple thought of the end goal may not be enough for some people. You have to really visualize the steps to your goal via tracking your performance or taking progress photos (for weight loss or physique goal). ,
Tracking and seeing your steps towards this goal is even more critical in a team setting. It’s hard enough to motivate just one person, but a group will test your strategy. If each team member can see the incremental development, they will believe in a successful result. Again, remember to celebrate each win!
5. Adopt the 51:17 Rule
What is the 51:17 rule? It’s similar to the Pomodoro Technique, which was first proposed in the 90s by Francesco Cirillo. He postulates that when a person is presented with a big project to complete, they should break it down into more achievable intervals.
Each Pomodoro, or working period, is only 25 minutes – but it’s 25 minutes of uninterrupted work and total focus. Once the timer is up, you can take a quick 5-minute break, then continue onto the next Pomodoro. After 4 Pomodoros or an hour, you can take a longer break. The extended break can be however long you need to feel refreshed and raring to go again.
In practice, the Pomodoro Technique will train your brain to focus better and maximize productivity. The result of adopting these efficiency techniques is a higher quality of work.
The 51:17 rule is like the Pomodoro Technique, except it is 51 minutes of uninterrupted hard work and 17 minutes of relaxation. It’s the Golden Ratio of enhanced productivity. However, you don’t have to adhere to the minutes strictly. Find your own “Golden Ratio” through trial and error. For some people, it may be 40:30, while for others, a 60:10 may work. The brain likes reward, so always remember to take that extra 5, 10, 15, 20, or 30-minute break from the hustle of your daily work grind to improve your productivity.
6. Stay Focused On One Thing at a Time
If you want to know how to really succeed and achieve your goals, big or small, you must stay focused. Make sure you are not tackling anything else during the Pomodoro period. This goes for any type of project, big or small. Try not to multi-task because doing so could lead to decreased cognitive performance, lowered productivity, poor attention span, and overall careless work quality.
How do you achieve your goals?
That’s all up to you. But the first step in GOing towards your goals is within your grasp! Embracing the above tips will take you one giant step closer to your intentions. Surrounding yourself with people that support and encourage you will make a lasting impact. Remember to celebrate every win, no matter how small, and don’t be afraid to invest in your goals with time, money, or effort. The willingness to do everything it takes will take you from the 92% chance of failure and catapult you into the successful 8%.
Written by Jess Lin
Share it Now!
Read more stories from our ambassadors, our partners, and the causes they support!View all Posts
The Competitive Advantage of Corporate Giving for Your Employees
Nicolaidis YoungWings Stiftung Charity Challenge
This website stores cookies on your computer. These cookies are used to collect information about how you interact with our website and allows us to remember you. We use this information in order to improve and customize your browsing experience and for analytics and metrics about our visitors both on this website and other media. To find out more about the cookies we use, please see our Informativa sulla privacy.